Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Food, gossip and lazy after noons!

Statuatory warning: All those people who are living far away from their homes, or are earning big bucks living in a distant foreign city and missing out on sumptous meals at your Granny's place.......... pls dont read it. As it may result in home sickness or a dangerous desire to return back home , which may not be very healthy for your spouse or it will make your white skinned boss grow red!
A little bit of background explanation now. My mom and I reached our Grany's place in Chennai, the hot and humid ctiy downsouth of India. It was a Sunday morning and i got up at eleven in the morning, as it is customary to do so when you go to your grany's place. First things first. You get loads of comments and compliments about your minuscule changes in appearance! Compliments range from from clearer skin to loss in weight! And then ofcourse, i settle down comfortably for breakfast. Well , since it is a Sunday, i get lucky! My grany serves me 2 jasmine white idlies..... with the world's best curry.......... before i break the suspense about the curry..... a little bit of beating around the bush would make me feel happy..... the curry has a history to it! Earlier it was had with hot oily maida puries, but as people got a little more health conscious, white soft idlies took over the place! Never mind if the curry is on the list of "things to avoid for gonna be brides who wanna shed some weight" ! Well, no more guesses! Its the delicious kheema curry with lots of coconut and lip smacking masala! And i gulp down many idlies.... come on, only morons keep a count of how much they eat....... may be lets have a new saying..... just like ' dance like no one's watching"........... say i'll put it as..."eat like you dont know counting!"
The rest of the morning goes in chit chatting , gossiping and wondering what my mom and aunt would do if they ever go to their "happily married -off -daughters "places in Australia or Singapore.......... Well i for sure know that they would call me up from there and beg me to get them back to India and give them one plate of "rasam " rice with dried smelly fish!
I have just had my breakfast, and in no time, my cousin gets me soup.........hot horsegram soup with a strong flovour of pepper and lemon! delicious! And she also tells me about how she has been having carrot juice and tomato juice regularly.... and that they are good for one's skin and figure! So thats interesting right! all over the world people are getting more health conscious! But there are readers like you , who find 'kheema curry' more interesting than ' carrot juice' !
The usual over dose of snacks which both my aunts keep giving me alternately, leaves me with a meagre appetite for lunch. Nevetheless, i want to share with you what i had the next day, as it is very interesting!
As i have a late bath, the smell of fish curry welcomes me to my plate of lunch! Steamed hot rice with mild yellow sambar!Masala flavoured ' Genna' ( fish eggs) to add to the taste! A little bit of genna with hot sambar rice does all the magic in the world! and thats not it! My aunt gets this plate full of fried matthi fish, so crisp and brown, and so very tasty! I eat non stop like I have never seen food before! And you also get prawns with raddish to add spice to your "great Indian Grany's house meal" ! And even the masala flavoured butter milk that my Grany makes is so pleasant for the taste buds....... that at this stage , i cant but extend my sincere condolences to all those people who stay in distant lands , far and away from their Grany's place! And for those of you who can afford an holiday, do go to your Grany's place and have a ' happy eating time' and experience the warmth and joys of staying indoors in your Grany's place with lots of interesting gossip, delectable food and lazy after noons!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey nice one.. but did u do anything other than eating !
in every paragraph there is something about ffood.. that shows how much of a foodie u've become !
way 2 go !
-sathya

Anonymous said...

hey rampya,,,really cool one...its bringing back fond memories of eating in ammammas house. !!
your writing skills are ossum, reminds of r k narayans swami kind of writing style:)!! btw the sari in the swapnas wedding pics is very well tied.
- roopa

Siddharth said...

u've made me hungry. and why the polka dots?? longer comment later

Anonymous said...

If i'm rite, you have mentioned only 25% of what you ate in chennai rite?? how come the chicken lolly pop's and those biryanis dint get any attention ;)

I am so hungry rite now and i did this dumb thing of reading ur blog :(
Priyanka!

A comeback-roopeshrn said...

Hey i always heard of andhra food being really spicy and yummy,got a good taste of it once in bheema's(all thnx 2 u) and other through your blog:-)keep writing.